Waymo's answers in child crash probe stay under wraps
Waymo has responded to NHTSA's questions about a January crash where a robotaxi struck a child, but the documents are redacted.
Waymo has finally responded to federal regulators investigating a January crash in which one of its robotaxis struck a nine-year-old girl in Santa Monica, California — but the public may never see what the company actually said.
An initial batch of documents landed on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website Friday morning, after TechCrunch inquired about them earlier in the week. The agency told TechCrunch it is "reviewing other responses and will publish them in the investigation file upon completion."
The catch: the responses available at publication time were entirely redacted, with Waymo citing "confidential business information." Despite the blacked-out pages, the mere existence of the posted responses marks a step forward in the probe, signaling that the investigation is progressing after Waymo was granted extra time to prepare its answers.
What NHTSA asked for
NHTSA's request to Waymo was sweeping. The regulator wanted a wide swath of information about how Waymo determines speed limits in school zones, whether the company has received any complaints about how its robotaxis behave around schools, and documentation about Waymo's software, among other things. The questions were sent as 12 questions, some with sub-questions, on March 23.
Waymo's initial deadline to respond to NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) was May 8. But documents posted Friday show the company asked for an extension in a letter dated May 1. In that letter, Waymo also asked NHTSA to clarify some of the questions. Waymo provided responses to some of the questions in a second letter dated July 8. NHTSA granted Waymo additional time to answer 10 of its 12 questions. Waymo told TechCrunch on Thursday that it has completed its submissions.
The crash itself
The incident in question occurred on January 23 in Santa Monica. One of Waymo's Jaguar I-Pace robotaxis was traveling near a school when a nine-year-old girl stepped into the street. The robotaxi was traveling 17 miles per hour, but it braked and reduced its speed to six miles per hour before colliding with the student "near its front-right headlight assembly," according to a preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released in March.
The child fell, then walked to the curb and reported minor injuries, according to that report. She did not need medical transport. The NTSB's investigation is separate from the one being performed by NHTSA. The NTSB typically releases a final, more detailed report after 12 months.
A request for more time
Waymo's May 1 letter to NHTSA, written by Matthew Schwall, Waymo's senior director of safety, sought both clarification and an extension. The letter framed the request as a mutual benefit to both parties.
"Our mutual goal is for Waymo to provide relevant information that facilitates ODI’s investigation, while avoiding extraordinary production and review burdens for Waymo and NHTSA ODI that would otherwise not benefit the agency’s investigation."
— Matthew Schwall, Waymo's senior director of safety, in a letter to NHTSA dated May 1
Why the redactions matter
The fact that Waymo's responses are entirely redacted raises questions about transparency in the investigation. While Waymo cites confidential business information as the reason, the public and safety advocates may be left in the dark about the specifics of what the company told regulators. This could have implications for how the public perceives the safety of autonomous vehicles.
As the investigation continues, the redacted documents suggest that Waymo is cooperating but also protecting its proprietary information. The balance between safety transparency and business confidentiality is a delicate one, and this case highlights the tension.
What this could mean for autonomous vehicle regulation
This investigation is one of the most high-profile involving a robotaxi and a child. The outcome could influence how NHTSA and other regulators approach oversight of autonomous vehicles, particularly in school zones and other sensitive areas. The redactions might also prompt discussions about whether NHTSA needs more authority to compel disclosure, or whether companies should be more forthcoming voluntarily.
For now, the investigation is ongoing, and NHTSA has not released any findings. The agency's statement that it is "reviewing other responses" suggests there is more to come. The next steps will likely involve analyzing Waymo's submissions and determining whether any action is warranted.
This situation underscores the importance of thorough investigation into autonomous vehicle incidents, especially those involving vulnerable road users like children. As robotaxis become more common, the public will look to regulators to ensure their safety, and transparency will be key to maintaining trust.
Sources
- TechCrunch Original source
Continue Reading
Nakasone's New Firm Targets Elite Security Gaps
Retired Gen. Paul Nakasone launches Nakasone Group, a boutique advisory firm for high-profile clients facing cyber and geopolitical threats.
Weekly Roundup: Botnet Exploits, T-Mobile’s Cable Snip
SecurityWeek’s weekly roundup covers a Ray bug, Threema DDoS, T-Mobile’s cable cut, Evooo1Bot, and more.
AI Assistance Moves Into SOC Workflows
Wazuh adds AI-powered analyst tools and integrations to ease security operations workload.